14 June, 2014

Bike Ride

My lawn is, to be kind, ragged.

We have not owned a lawn mower in a few years but we make use of the sheep to keep the grass down.  This makes it difficult to landscape; sheep enjoy the leaves of my perennials as much as the clover and grass I provide for them.

It also makes for an uneven trim.  Sheep prefer tender young grass.  If it gets tall in June, it will stay tall.  At least until I go out with the scythe and cut it down.

I started to think recently that I might break down and buy a bona fide internal combustion engine lawn mower.  I haven't really budgeted for it but we could make it happen.  I was starting to think how I could keep an eye out in the coming winter for an off-season purchase.

Then I took the oldest kids for a bike ride.  They're young so we don't go far.  We went far enough, however, to pass a neighbor spending a lovely Saturday afternoon working on his garden tractor.

That's right, I thought.  If I add another internal combustion engine, I will have to maintain it.  The better deal I get on a lawn mower, the more likely it is I will be paying with the "sweat equity" of repair work. 

I think I'd rather spend my lovely afternoons taking bike rides with the kids.



No comments:

Post a Comment