02 June, 2014

Food elitism

Fear: first it kills the mind, then others.
As frequently as the two overlap, I have always worried more about class than race.

It is rooted in fear and it is a fear that kills.

It limits opportunity just as efficiently.  It operates under the radar.  Some homo sapiens march around advertising it as their virtue. Class-ism is most evident in our arguments over the food system.

We now have thousands of studies that GMO foods do no harm.

Increased yields lower the cost of food, a basic necessity.

The poor spend a larger amount of their take home pay on food, so the benefit disproportionately from the use of GMOs.

I actually don't mind giving people a choice to eat non-GMO foods.  Maybe this is a case where I am wrong.  Maybe this is a case where big business is at work.  Maybe we are doing harm to the earth.

If you want to waste your money, go ahead.  I wish I could bring myself to be among those who take it from you.

But don't use your virtue to hurt others.  Don't be a fundamentalist.  Don't force your religion down my throat or the throat of the poor.  If you want to change our mind you're going to have to find more evidence of harm than the studies already produced.

If we fed a lab rat nothing but organic strawberries, we would see negative outcomes as well.

I'd like to see the poor raise more of their own food.  If I tried to eat as well as I do while buying the things we produce on the farm, I would quickly be poor.  I'm not into any kind of Maoist forced collectivization, however.

When science and reason come together to say there is no threat, we should give people choice.








1 comment:

  1. Really good point there regarding the disparate impact on the poor.

    ReplyDelete