10 June, 2014

Walking Minneapolis

I've been exploring Minneapolis since the spring.  I've really enjoyed the outings and the dogs have benefited from the expanded set of experiences.  As I walk I find my mind flooded with questions.

Was the genesis of the dirt paths along the river central planing or an example of emergent order?  In other words did the city decide it was a good idea to have them or did people make them and was the city forced to maintain them in order to make them safe?

Why is it when combined use (walking and cycling) paths split for short lengths (usually > 100 yards) why is it that the walkers get the less direct, and therefore longer, path?  Come on planners!  We're walking over here.

I am also realizing that as I take the two oldest kids out and about this summer to discuss ecology and ecosystems in the area, we should make time to discuss urban ecosystems and the choices cities make.  What are the impacts over time?  What is sustainable?  What adds to human thriving?

I like what Minneapolis has done.  It is within the power of the people of that city to keep it.  If they make that choice.



                    

         
                   



Thirteen-miles and still strong!

Tired Puppy


No comments:

Post a Comment